Compensation for Taking Care of a Family MemberProviding home care for an elderly or disabled family member often begins out of love, but can quickly become a financial burden for the caregiver. These individuals may find themselves taking time off from work and, as a result, missing out on potential income as they take on this new caregiver job title.

The Minnesota Leadership Council on Aging states that each year in Minnesota 600,000 caregivers leave over $7 billion on the table as they provide care for their aging parents or disabled family members. These numbers are expected to grow rapidly in the coming years as Baby Boomers reach retirement age and the need for care rises. It is a little known fact that you can actually get paid to take care of a family member in the state of Minnesota.

Through the Personal Care Assistance Program administered by the Minnesota Department of Human Services, friends and family members may be compensated for their work with their loved ones. Personal care assistance services help a person with:

  • Activities of daily living.
  • Health related procedures and tasks.
  • Observation and redirection of behaviors.
  • Instrumental activities of daily living.

For caregivers to receive compensation for taking care of a family member, they must qualify to act as a Personal Care Assistant. Best Home Care will provide you with the necessary PCA training and assist you through the process of becoming qualified to work as a PCA. We will also take care of the billing and payment process so you can focus on continuing to provide in-home care for your loved one.

Contact Best Home Care today to learn how to enroll in the Personal Care Assistance Program and start receiving compensation for taking care of a family member!