As we get older or develop certain medical conditions, tasks around the home can get increasingly difficult. You might find yourself wanting some extra help and support so you or a loved one can remain living at home. If that’s the case, a personal care assistant, or PCA, might be just what you’re looking for!

Medical Eligibility for Home Care

To qualify for a PCA, you’ll need to have either a chronic illness or injury or a physical, emotional, or mental disability. You will need to organize an assessment in your home, where a home care qualifications expert (you will need to contact your county or health plan for a nurse or an assessor to come out to authorize services) will come and assess whether a PCA is right for you.

For many, taking on a PCA is an alternative to going into a residential care home. If you want to stay in your own home, but know you need some extra support with basic personal hygiene tasks, buying groceries, transport, or other daily tasks, then a PCA could be the way forward.

Financial Eligibility for Home Care

If you fall into certain criteria, it’s possible that a state healthcare program will be able to pay for your PCA. For example, in Minnesota, there is a state healthcare program called Medical Assistance that provides necessary medical services for disabled and elderly (65 or older) people with limited income and assets.

You must meet certain income and asset guidelines to be eligible. These guidelines change on July 1 of each year, based on changes in the Federal Poverty Guidelines. If Medical Assistance sounds like it might help you, find out more about at the Minnesota Department of Human Services or check to see if you are eligible by looking at these guidelines from the Department of Human Services.

Connect with Best Care Today!

If you need any extra guidance on how to get a personal care assistant, don’t hesitate to get in touch with the Best Care team. Our friendly staff is happy to help you access the help and support you need.