Family caregivers in the Twin Cities areaIn continuing our celebration of National Caregivers Month, Best Home Care is committed to providing support and helpful resources to family caregivers throughout the Twin Cities. One way we achieve this is through educating individuals on how they can get paid for the homecare services they already provide to loved one in need.

If a parent, sibling, grandparent, or close friend is living with a disability or has non-medical healthcare needs, you may think assisted living or hiring a home nurse is their only option. And perhaps the idea of having a stranger care for the person you love feels like a heavy weight on your shoulders. What you may not realize is, in the state of Minnesota, there are numerous programs available that offer family members compensation for the support and services they already perform as family caregivers.

For instance, Medicaid’s Cash and Counseling Program allows low-income individuals in need of support the freedom to choose their own homecare aid. Under this program, clients can choose to hire a close friend or relative to perform caregiving services. Another option is the Minnesota PCA Program, which allows individuals to select their own caregiver, such as a family member or friend, to work for them through a PCA agency, such as Best Home Care.

What Are PCAs:

Personal Care Assistants (PCAs) are paid caregivers who help individuals perform daily activities that may be difficult to do on their own—due to a physical or mental impairment. Most PCAs are actually family members of the person receiving care. This means if you are someone who is providing care for an elderly parent, grandparent, or a relative, you may already qualify to become a PCA and can start receiving payment for your caregiving services.

There are certain requirements to become a PCA in the state of Minnesota:

  • You must be over the age of 16
  • You must pass a background check
  • You must complete PCA training requirements
  • You must be able to provide the level of care and support needed
  • You must not be the recipient’s spouse
  • You must not be the parent or stepparent of a recipient who is a minor
  • You must not be a paid legal guardian

*Even if you do not live with the person in need of homecare services, you may still qualify for compensation as a PCA.

How to Become a PCA and Start Getting Paid:

If you’re already providing care for someone, and you meet the above requirements, the first step is to have your loved one contact Best Home Care. We can determine the recipient’s eligibility and provide a phone number to request a PCA Assessment. (The PCA Assessment is where the recipient will meet with a Public Health Nurse (PHN), who will ask a series of questions and observe the recipient to determine his or her needs for PCA services. If approved, the PHN will determine how many hours of homecare service the recipient is eligible to receive.)

From there, the individual in need of homecare services will have the freedom to choose his or her caregiver. Best Home Care can then hire and train, pending the above PCA requirements, this individual to begin receiving compensation for their family caregiving services. 

Curious about how you can become a PCA? Best Home Care is ready to support you in this rewarding career opportunity. Visit our FAQs page for helpful answers to some question you may have about the process, or contact us today, and a member of our friendly team will be ready to assist you!