spotify icon
Make a ReferralBest Care Connection

Paying for Personal Care Services

There are a number of resources available to assist you in paying for Personal Care Assistant (PCA) services and home healthcare costs.

What Do You Need to Know About Paying for PCA services?

Paying for PCA services is easier than you may think. In most cases, PCA services are a benefit for individuals covered through either the Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare Program.

Individuals who do not qualify for medical assistance, however, may still qualify for PCA services under the Alternative Care Program.

A mother and daughter relaxing while having lunch

What is Medical Assistance?

Medical Assistance is a state healthcare program that provides necessary medical services for disabled and elderly (65 or older) Minnesotans, who have limited income and assets.

Learn more about medical assistance here!

Am I Eligible for Medical Assistance?

You must meet certain income and asset guidelines to be eligible. These guidelines change July 1 of each year, based on changes in the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Contact your local county social services office for further information.

For specific guidelines, go to Eligibility Policy Manual at the Department of Human Services.

What Is the Alternative Care Program?

People who do not qualify for Medicaid may still receive PCA services under the Alternative Care Program. The Alternative Care Program is for people 65 or older who qualify and need nursing home care. This program has higher income and asset limitations than Medicaid.

Learn more about the Alternative Care Program here!

What If I Have Too Much Income or Assets?

Individuals who are in a higher income bracket may still qualify for PCA services if they pay a “spend down” (similar to an insurance deductible). Also, there are a number of assets that do not qualify toward determining whether you’re eligible to receive medical assistance, such as your home, improvements to your home, vehicle, burial expenses, etc.

NOTE: Individuals with significant assets may still qualify for medical assistance through the use of “medical assistance planning.” Typically, attorneys assist with “medical assistance planning.”

How Do I Apply for Medical Assistance?

Fill out a Minnesota Health Care Programs application then mail or bring it to your county human services office. Alternatively, you can contact your county Human Services Office and a representative will help you complete the application.

For questions about the application or for assistance in submitting your information, contact Best Care, and a member of our dedicated team will guide you through the process. Additionally, you can also receive application assistance from one of the MNCAA Sites listed here.

Medical Assistance Planning

Volunteers of America provides various services to seniors at no charge or on a sliding fee scale, including medical assistance planning.

Learn More
Skip to content