spotify icon
Make a ReferralBest Care Connection

Can Siblings Become PCAs?

November 17, 2022

Did you know that nearly 53 million Americans provide unpaid care for relatives and friends? At Best Care, we want to ensure that those caregivers get paid for their work while ensuring that the care recipient receives the highest care level.

Many family caregivers are siblings, helping their brother or sister live a fulfilled life. Having someone from your own family look after you is often preferable. It offers a level of familiarity and love that is hard to find otherwise.

Here’s a look at the requirements and qualifications of becoming a family caregiver. Use this information to help learn whether you are eligible to get paid for taking care of siblings.

PCA Requirements

To become a PCA for a family member, you'll need to fulfill the eligibility requirements:

  • Be at least 18 years of age (except for individuals who are over the age of 16 but under 18 if they are employed by only one provider agency and if a qualified professional provides supervision at least every 60 days)
  • Pass a criminal background check
  • Complete the free training test before starting work

That means that siblings over the age of 16 can become family caregivers. Here’s a look at how to become a PCA for a family member. Typically, a spouse will not receive compensation for providing PCA services. The rules are different during the COVID-19 pandemic, however.

Effective immediately and lasting through the end of the federal COVID-19 public health emergency, parents, stepparents, legal guardians of minors, and spouses can provide PCA services to those in need of home care. All people who provide PCA services must follow enrollment and other PCA worker criteria.

How to Become a PCA for a Sibling

Taking care of siblings can be life-changing for the whole family. As a sibling caregiver, you can help your brother or sister live their life to the fullest while getting paid and rewarded for your hard work.

Under either of the PCA service options offered by the Minnesota Department of Human Services—the PCA Choice option or the Traditional PCA option—individuals can select a family member to work for them through a PCA agency like Best Care. However, home caregivers must first qualify to work as Personal Care Assistants (PCA) in Minnesota to receive compensation.

You can receive payment directly from a qualified home care agency as a PCA. For example, PCAs receive compensation from a home care agency in Minnesota after their relative or friend receives approval to start PCA services.

Contact Us

To learn more about getting paid to take care of a family member, don’t hesitate to contact Best Care. We’re here to support caregivers and recipients of care to make their own choices about care and getting paid for caring for family members.

A mother hugging her daughter outdoors
Post Categories
Share with a Friend
Skip to content