Starting homecare services can bring up a few questions. In fact, one of the biggest concerns many individual’s face is how to pay for at-home care. For those covered by Medicare, you may be wondering if these services are covered under your program. While Medicare itself does not cover all homecare services, it’s possible that you or your loved one may qualify for some other form of coverage.
According to Medicare Interactive, here are some requirements you’ll need to meet in order to quality for the program’s home health benefit:
- The client must be homebound and unable to leave their residence without help.
- The client must need care from a skilled nurse or therapist.
- The client must have had a face-to-face appointment with their doctor 90 days prior to, or 30 days after receiving care.
- The doctor will then need to sign a home health certification that confirms the need for home care and states approval of a home healthcare plan.
If you or your loved one does not meet these set of requirements, Medicare may not cover your need for homecare services. However, there are plenty of other programs available to help cover the costs of senior homecare services.
Here are a few options you'll want to check out!
- Medicaid’s “Cash and Counseling” Program: This program allows family caregivers to receive compensation for providing homecare services.
- Veteran’s Programs: If the client is a veteran, then be sure to look into veteranshomecare.com. On this website, you can check to see if you're eligible for homecare services through the VetAssist Program.
- Alternative Care Program or Elderly Waiver: These programs apply to those ages 65 and older, who require nursing home-level care but still live in their own homes. These programs may prevent or delay the need for nursing home care.
If you have questions on the type of coverage you may be eligible for, or if you’d like to learn more about family caregiving or PCA services, contact us at Best Home Care today! Also, be sure to visit our FAQs page to learn how you can get paid to care for a loved one in need!